Community Reinvestment Act (CRA)
The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 (CRA) encourages certain insured depository institutions to help meet the credit needs of the communities in which they are chartered, including low- and moderate-income (LMI) neighborhoods, consistent with the safe and sound operation of such institutions.
The CRA requires federal banking agencies to
- assess the institution's record of meeting the credit needs of its entire community, including LMI neighborhoods, consistent with the safe and sound operation of such institution, and
- take such record into account in its evaluation of an application for a deposit facility by such institution.
June 2020 Rule
The OCC's CRA rule, published on June 5, 2020, recognizes significant changes to the banking industry and how consumers bank since the last comprehensive revision over 25 years ago. The June 2020 rule clarifies the activities that count for CRA credit, updates where bank activity counts, and evaluates CRA performance more objectively.
- OCC Bulletin 2021-5, Community Reinvestment Act: Bank Type Determinations, Distressed and Underserved Areas, and Banking Industry Compensation Provisions of the June 2020 CRA
- OCC Bulletin 2020-99, Community Reinvestment Act: Key Provisions of the June 2020 CRA Rule and Frequently Asked Questions
- OCC News Release 2020-63, OCC Finalizes Rule to Strengthen and Modernize Community Reinvestment Act Regulations
- CRA Final Rule
- CRA Illustrative List of Qualifying Activities (PDF)
- Interpretive Letter #1177, "Community Reinvestment Act Qualifying Activities Conducted by a National Bank's or Savings Association's Subsidiaries and Affiliates, Including Nonbank Parent and Sister Companies of a National Bank or Savings Association Under Certain Circumstances, Can Receive CRA Credit Under the June 2020 CRA Final Rule"
1995 CRA Rule, as Revised
Certain provisions of the preceding CRA rule continue to apply as OCC administers and develops new guidance, examination procedures, and tools to fully implement the June 2020 rule.
Handbook, Procedures, and Guidance
- OCC Comptroller's Handbook, CRA Examination Procedures
- CRA Examination Procedures for Small Institutions (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Intermediate Small Banks (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Large Banks (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Limited Purpose and Wholesale Institutions (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Institutions With Strategic Plans (PDF)
- CRA Small Bank Compliance Guide (PDF)
- Interpretive Letter, "Community Reinvestment Act Qualifying Activities Conducted by a National Bank's or Savings Association's Subsidiaries and Affiliates, Including Nonbank Parent and Sister Companies of a National Bank or Savings Association Under Certain Circumstances, Can Receive CRA Credit Under the June 2020 CRA Final Rule"
National Banks Evaluated on the Basis of a Strategic Plan Under the CRA
Get a list of national banks operating under approved CRA strategic plans and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Wholesale and Limited Purpose Banks
Get a list of banks designated as wholesale or limited purpose, definitions for these terms, and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Get information about best practices and investment opportunities on a broad range of community development topics and access training, workshops and conferences conducted by District Community Affairs Officers.
Related News and Issuances
|10/01/2021||NR 2021-104||OCC Releases CRA Evaluations for 14 National Banks and Federal Savings Associations|
|09/15/2021||NR 2021-97||Acting Comptroller Discusses Priorities, Safeguarding Trust in Banking|
|09/08/2021||OCC 2021-41||Community Reinvestment Act: Proposal to Rescind and Replace Community Reinvestment Act Rule Issued in 2020|